The specimens tab allows users to explore the associated data of ~12,000 specimens of Antkey species imported from Antweb. The immediate use of the specimen data is to provide collection records that are dynamically mapped in the taxon pages. There is an issue with the mapping function that the Scratchpad development team is currently working on, but this should eventually work.
Unless otherwise noted, the data values are identical to the original values imported from Antweb. There are still several issues with the Scratchpads specimen/observation module, but current data fields include:
- Institution code. Usually a four-letter abbreviation of the institution which owns the specimens. See Evenhuis (2012) for abbreviation references.
- Lifestage. W = worker | S = soldier (major worker) | Q = queen | aQ = alate queen | dQ = dealate queen | M = male | P = pupa | L = larva.
- Location. A short code given to each unique locality, often composed of the site name plus the elevation.
- Field notes. Mapped from Antweb's 'habitat' and 'microhabitat' fields.
- Taxonomic name. The name species name.
- Type status. The designated type status of the specimen.